In order to resist lateral pressure of the soil, a retaining wall is designed and constructed. This kind of pressure gets developed when there will be a desired change in the elevation of ground, which may exceed the response angle of the soil. This kind of retaining walls will be used in order to support soil laterally, in order to retain at the different levels on 2 sides.
There is a good reason to retain walls and they are popular in residential as well as commercial landscaping. They will offer a chance to inject stonework and also hardscaping into your area and you can transform your landscape. One most important purpose of retaining walls is because of its ability to save your yard by preventing any soil erosion and also manage your rainwater flow.
If you are residing in Coquitlam, then you can find help from the experienced Companies such as Coquitlam Retaining Walls in British Columbia. The experts working in this Company are highly skilled and can supply you all kinds of design and installation that you may need. Use the keywords “retaining wall contractors near me” to find out more about their services.
Following are few different varieties of retaining walls that are commonly found:
- Anchored retaining walls
- Such retaining wall types will be employed, when the available space will be limited, or even when the thin retaining wall is needed.
- Such a type of wall suits well for loose soil on the rocks.
- Much higher retaining wall is generally constructed by using this kind of wall structure system.
- Either deep cable wires or rods are driven deep sideways into the earth, or the ends are filled by concrete to offer the support for the rods or wires.
- Buttressed retaining walls
- This is another kind of cantilever. It is reinforced with counter forts that are monolithic, with back of the base slab and wall slab.
- Spacing of the counter fort is either equal or little larger than 50% of counter-fort height.
- Cantilever retaining walls
- These walls are composed of base and stem slab.
- Usually constructed from precast concrete, reinforced concrete for prestressed concrete.
- These are most commonly used retaining walls.
- These are either prefabricated or constructed on the site.
- That part of the base slab which is under backfill material is usually called the heel and the rest part as toe.
- Till up to the height of 10 meter this type of wall will be economical.
- It needs little amount of concrete as compared to gravity wall however design and construction of this wall has to be done in a careful manner.
- Crib retaining walls
- This is also another variety of gravity walls.
- These walls are generally constructed by interlocking individual boxes which are made out of timber or pre-cast concrete.
- Boxes are thereafter filled with coarse granular material or crushed stone for creating free draining structure.
- Few basic crib retaining wall types are timber retaining and reinforced precast walls.
- Gabion retaining walls
- These types of walls are rectangular wire mesh and multi-celled boxes that are filled generally with rocks and any other suitable materials.
- For construction of structures meant for erosion control, these walls are employed.
- Gravity retaining walls
- In order to resist lateral earth pressure, gravity retaining wall will generally depend on its own weight
- In order to counteract the soil pressure usually gravity walls can exert a great amount of pressure as it may need a significant amount of gravity load.
- While designing gravity retaining wall structure, overturning, sliding and also bearing forces will also be taken into account.
- Different kinds of materials like stone, concrete and masonry units may be used for construction of gravity retaining walls.
- Mechanically stabilized Earth retaining walls
- This is most economical as well as most commonly used walls that are constructed.
- Such type of wall includes concrete block, panel and temporary type earth retaining walls.
- Piled retaining walls
- By driving reinforced types of concrete piles put side by side, these pile retaining walls will be constructed.
- Piles will be forced into such depth which is sufficient for countering the force that tries to push over the wall.
- Can be employed for both permanent as well as temporary works.
- Piled walls will offer high-stiffness elements that can hold lateral pressure in the larger excavation depth without any disturbance to structures of surrounding.
If you plan on installing a retaining wall for your home, then go through all the available choices for you and finalize the right one for your landscape.